The so called, “Insider Movement” is polarizing the protestant missions force in our generation.
While I have many scriptural, missiological, and philosophical problems with the core beliefs and practices of this growing movement, one question continues to nag at me and shape my thinking about it:
The majority of Muslim background believers I have met (particularly those engaged in the missions movement) loathe the Insider Movement while the majority of western frontier missionaries I have met support it.
There is something seriously wrong here.
If you are unfamiliar with the Insider Movement, here are some resources worth checking out:
- “Unheralded” A short documentary exploring the destructive consequences of the Insider Movement on Muslim background believers
- Jay Smith’s Assessment of the Insider Movemen and C5 Mission Strategies
- John Piper Responds to the Insider Movement
- IHOPU Symposium: Understanding the Challenge of Islam
- Chrislam: How Missionaries Are Promoting an Islamized Gospel Edited by Joshua Lingel, Jeff Morton and Bill Nikides
- An Evangelical Assessement by Basil Grafas
- Leading Muslims to Jesus: Questions to Consider by L. D. Waterman
- How Islamic Can Christianity Be? by J. T. Smith
- How to Share the Gospel with Muslims by J. T. Smith
- Questions and Biblical Guidelines for Missionaries among Muslim Peoples by Erik Hyatt